This is by far one of the tastiest meals I’ve made!!! Every vegan needs to give it a try. If you’re planning to make it from the can, expect to cut of the core of the fruit. I recommend doing it before you start frying it.
Make sure it’s drained well before you start and start cutting out the core and removing out the seeds. It’s more work but this way you can add your own flavors and seasonings vs store bought already made.
- 2 2 oz young green jackfruit can in water (NOT in syrup or brine)
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (Annie's vegan sweet & spicy) & more for topping
- 2 cups cruciferous shredded salad (Trader Joe’s has a great cruciferous salad veggie mix)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- salt + pepper to taste
- water or vegetable broth to thin
- Rinse, drain, and thoroughly dry jackfruit.
- Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit.
- Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water (or broth) to make a sauce.
- Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir occasionally using a fork to tear into shreds.
- Remove from heat.
- In the meantime, prepare salad (avocado through salt + pepper).
- 4-6 whole grain vegan buns
- Vegan parmesan cheese